Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm a Clutch Stalker

With a friend’s wedding looming and an ensemble to complete, I have the perfect excuse to fill a void in my shoe collection. What better way to spend a lunch hour on a rainy day. I decide to check out a newly opened DSW. The odds should be good considering it’s a massive space full of shoes.

I walk in and as soon as I look to my right I see the dress shoes. It takes me a minute to scan all the shapeless, 1- inch, dye-able silk shoes. Blegh! As I turn away from the wall of sad, silk shoes I spot an amazing, oversize, cognac-colored clutch that draws me in like a magnet. And at a closer glance, it’s distressed! I have been wanting an oversize, brown clutch, which I’m sure I’ve noted on a mental list of to-buy items (since lists are supposed to encourage budgeting). Looking at the tag, it’s reasonable. But not only is it reasonably priced, there’s a great quote on the inside tag and it RESONATES! It must be a sign. But I’m trying to watch my spending. After minutes of just standing in front of this bag, holding it, putting it down, taking a step back to get a 2nd look (do I really love it?)... I put it down. I’ve been standing in front of this wall of clutches for too long and people may think I'm catatonic. I casually walk through the aisles and make my way to the back room. Find a nice pair of Nicole Miller, light gray, t-strap shoes. Would be a great neutral shoe for the spring. And it’s on clearance. Clearance = budget-conscious. Pick up the box and go. But that clutch... Maybe I should just get both. I’m obviously still thinking of this bag, and isn’t that the rule? If you can’t get your mind off of it, you must buy it??? I casually walk back to the clutch. But I can’t. I can’t! So, I saunter away. I’m within a couple aisles and I find that I’m positioning myself in front of shoes that keep the clutch in my line of vision. Suddenly, I’m panicking. A woman is perusing the wall of clutches. Is she looking at mine???!! Shoo!!! I pick up a shoe to look discreet. She’s still there. I feel an urge to RUN over and save it, grabbing it off the shelf, then coming back to my spot two rows away. I could see myself jumping over two aisles of shoes if she lays one finger on it. But she doesn’t touch it. She walks away. I slowly make my way back (again) and I finally bid adieu. I decide that I cannot and should not get this bag now. I am so proud of me right now for resisting this urge. Stupid budget! I’ve come a long way.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO Proud of u my dear!!! :) Very tempting though...I know how it feels....trust me I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little disturbed by your little escapade. Clearly, this clutch is a classic, a keepsake, an INVESTMENT! However, you did show quite great willpower. Sometimes, I wish I had more restraint!

    ReplyDelete